Friday, August 8, 2008

Moby - Dick, bees, frogs and thunderstorms

I think this is funny … which is why people shouldn’t let me near their small children:

That's, Like, All We Did in Bio Lab Last Year
Girl #1: Did you know babies have natural reflexes? Like, if you stick your finger in their hand, they'll grab it, and if you try to pull it away, they'll hold on to it for like a minute.
Girl #2: Did you know if you punch a baby in the face, it'll cry?

--Columbia University

Overheard by: mkb
via Overheard in New York, Jul 31, 2008

I finally finished Herman Melville’s Moby – Dick. Now, I’m going to start War and Peace. I know … I know … it does seem pretentious to read it. Almost like I am trying to look smart for reading something so large and complex but, really, I LOVE Tolstoy. Anna Karenina is my absolute favorite book. Well almost the absolute; it’s a tie between Anna Karenina, Jane Eyre, and Mansfield Park.

Herman Melville : Redburn, White-Jacket, Moby-Dick (Library of America) Herman Melville : Redburn, White-Jacket, Moby-Dick by Herman Melville


My review




rating: 2 of 5 stars


Lisa Simpson: "You can't take revenge on an animal. That's the point of Moby - Dick!"


Homer Simpson: "The point of Moby - Dick is to be yourself!"

- The Simpons (Episode Title: The Fat and The Furriest)

It’s been thundering outside since about 1 p.m. and being 12:30 p.m. … it’s been nasty out. It just started raining for the first time though! It’s been about 65 or 70 for about two days. It’s nice. Michaeleen said she loves it because she finally is comfortable. Poor kid. It must suck to be pregnant in the middle of the summer.

When I went outside to get the towels (that were dripping wet from washing Molly) from the back porch I noticed a bright green frog in my flowers. It was so cute. And then, out of no where, a honey bee popped in looking for nectar and legs full of pollen.


rating: 3 of 5 stars

Read this while on my trip through Ireland during the summer of 1997. I was supposed to be reading The Scarlett Letter ... but this looked more interesting!


The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts The Woman Warrior: Memoirs of a Girlhood Among Ghosts by Maxine Hong Kingston


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
Read this during English 2 at Tufts. Honestly, I didn't read it the first time around because I wasn't very happy about being made to read it. The second time around I was supposed to read it for English 62: Short Stories with L. Bamber. I liked it that time!


View all my reviews.

Deliver Us from Evie Deliver Us from Evie by M. E. Kerr


My review


rating: 2 of 5 stars
Read for Girls' Books (grad level English class at Tufts).


View all my reviews.


Weetzie Bat Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block

My review


rating: 1 of 5 stars
Was forced to read this for a class on Girls Books.

View all my reviews.

No comments: