Sunday, August 24, 2008

Book: The Nymph King

The Nymph King The Nymph King by Gena Showalter

My review

rating: 3 of 5 stars
I'm not sure if I liked this book because of the plot etc ... or liked it because I like the way Gena Showalter writes.

This was the story of Valerian (btw - why do all romance novels have use the same 10 names for their lead male characters?) and Shaye. Val (I like to call him that in my head - it's Tabitha's fault! (read Sherrilyn Kenyon's Night Play and you will understand)) steals Shaye from her mother's 6th wedding (along with about 20 other women). Shaye is emotionally scarred from years of emotional, physcological and sometimes physical and sexual abuse at the hands of her mother and the revolving door step-father and step-siblings.

Slowly, Shaye warms to Val.

Here's what I don't understand. Shaye is set ... SET ... in her ways ... as anyone with half a brain who was treated like she was would be ... and holds her ground for the majority of the book. And then when Val needs her (read: is really horny for her) and he all but forces her (then says "Oh but don't worry, as I'm hovering above you in this precariously sexual way, I won't force anything on you ... just say stop." I'm screaming in my head: clearly, you have put yourself and Shaye in this position because you want to have your way with her. While that's well and good, she has said no a hundred times already. Don't you understand that "no" means "no"?)

Yeah that made the book a little lacking for me.

I did like the subplot of Brenna and Joachim (I assume that's said like Joaquim). It was a nice little throw in there. I'm still wondering what will happen to Shivawn (I assume that's said like the Gaelic female name Siobhan) and if he and Alyssa the vampire hooked up ...

guess I'll have to wait for the next one!

View all my reviews.

No comments: