Thursday, February 4, 2010

Covet (Fallen Angel #1) by J.R. Ward

Covet (Fallen Angels, #1) Covet by J.R. Ward


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I thought that when J.R. Ward announced that her novels were going to be less paranormal romance and more urban fantasy that she was going to lose me as a reader. I mean really, the woman wrote Lover Awakened for Pete's sake. She clearly can write paranormal fiction with the best of them. (Then again, I compare most writers to her and Sherrilyn Kenyon because J.R. Ward was my first forray into paranormal fiction (thank you, Kim) and Sherrilyn Kenyon because I believe she's the best paranormal romance writer out there, right now.)

So, I started reading Covet with a bit of hesitance. I didn't think I was going to like it. And truth be told, it did take me a little while to get into it. It is different than her Black Dagger Brotherhood series, but in a good way. And I love how some of the characters pop up in Covet. We see Phury headed into an AA meeting as Marie Terese is leaving Bible study. Trez owns the Iron Maiden where Marie Terese works as a prostitute. And Detective de la Cruz even makes an appearance!

There are three main characters in this book: Jim Heron, Vincent diPietro, and Marie Terese Boudreau.

Jim Heron is a construction worker and, the best we can tell, an ex-special ops agent for a service which is never mentioned by name. He has a really kick ass tattoo of the grim reaper on his back and we are lead to believe he has been a killer by occupation. After getting electrocuted on the job site (Vin's new house overlooking the Hudson River), Jim is sent to "Heaven" or something like it, where he is told that he is going to assist a final confrontation because "good" and "evil"/"Heaven" and "Hell"/"The Devil" and "God." He's got to help seven people at the cross roads.

Marie Terese Boudeau is on the run from her abusive and kidnapping ex-Husband, Mark. She works as a prostitute at Trez's club, The Iron Mask, and she's there one nice when Vin, Vin's gf (Devina) and Jim come into the club. Jim and Vin help fight off two thugs giving Marie Terese a hard time and Vin is instantly taken by her.

Vin is less than perfect. Once a criminal, now a driven business man, he's on the verge of proposing to Devina (his PERFECT girlfriend) but then Jim comes into his life ... and Marie Terese. The gorgeous petite brunette who makes him want to hold her close and protect her as if she was something to be cherished.

But, to Jim's consternation, evil's already got a head start on Vin. And her nails into him as far as they will go.

Can Jim win this one for the good team? Or will evil prevail in the first battle?

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVED Covet too even though I was hesitant at first because I'm so IN LOVE with the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. It also took me a while to get into it but once the plot was explained, I couldnt put it down.

By the way, Trez owns the Iron Mask not Iron Maiden. :) Thanks for spreading the word of J.R. Ward.